Sunday, January 15, 2012

Acceptance and Latino Literature


There seems to be a theme of acceptance throughout Lantio literature. Sor Juana never truly feels accepted for who she is and is always trying to prove that her knowledge and ideas are just as good as any mans. She is constantly under pressure to conform; to fit into the church, the politics, and the philosophical scenes. Nowhere does she feel truly appreciated for herself until she and the Viceroy’s wife become friends. This theme can also be seen in Cabaza de Vaca’s work as well as other writings from that time. These writers wanted acceptance from wealth Spanish lords and funding to explore the new world that had been discovered. They wrote not for themselves, but what they thought would get the most money out of their benefactors. Even after hundreds of years this theme of acceptance can still be seen in Latino literature, Borderlands/ la frontera is all about acceptance; of the cultures and of the languages that are a part of being Latino. Within the Latino grouping there are many different languages spoken and many different groups of people, which are conveniently lumped together all trying to be accepted by not only the grouping that was forced upon them, but by the English speaker and the predominately white academic world.

While people’s experiences may vary widely, I think everyone can connect to the need for acceptance. I have never had to struggle to validate who I am like many of the authors of the books we are reading, but acceptance is becoming more of a central part of my life as a start to think about applying to medical school. Do I present myself in the way that I think they want me to be to maximize my chance of getting in or should I be myself and if they don’t want me that’s okay? It is a struggle to please the people who can control your fate, to a certain extent, or to be yourself and let the world deal with it.

4 comments:

  1. I resonate with your paragraph in that although you have never had to struggle with who you are, I have had to struggle a great deal and have come to make peace with my vocation. Likewise, I notice our lives are a complete duality: my making peace with my vocation, and you having fears of choosing to be yourself or to blend in.

    Personally, I think it is always best to surrender and be obedient to society, especially in how we dress or conduct one’s self. I am of the conservative, well-dressed mind set and find comfort in formality and ritual… you could very well be different. I guess what I am trying to say is do what makes you feel comfortable, but be respectful to those around you. Perhaps let them know your feelings on certain matters and seek their advice, then make a choice for yourself.

    Tying this all back to Sor Juana: I see your conflicts resonating with hers. Likewise, she too was conflicted about how she should act: should she submit to authority and embrace humility, or be who she is. I think obedience to authority and humility need to be embraced because it keeps us honest with ourselves in that we know we are not perfect. I’ve struggled with this numerous times (i.e. having to submit to authority, having difficulty with a teaching of the Church), but I know that in the end standards and norms exist for a purpose: they make us meditate about what we want in life, and if what we want will benefit society as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Acceptance is an interesting concept. Why do we strive to be accepted by other people? What does it mean to really be accepted? While it is a concept that might be easy to describe, the feelings are so much different. However, I have experienced more acceptance in a different culture than I ever did with people in the United States. I lived in the Dominican Republic and I felt like a member of the family and culture. I was called their own daughter by my host parents. I was invited into rituals that I would have never dreamed to experience. Sor Juana struggles with this so much differently. But it makes me question why she is not accepted and instead she is challenged and then shushed. Why does the world have this view that people conform to to be accepted? How did that even become the world view of what is accepted? Such an interesting and difficult topic to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree, acceptance is the major issue that everyone faces as they live their lives. Whether it be on a job, on a team, in society, at the mall in line to get your Chai tea, you want to be accepted and you want to feel wanted somehow. Borderlands and Sor Juana's story has made that clear, that acceptance is key in maintaing and getting along in life. Not to dampen the mood, but after Juana had given in to the powers of the church, she died a few months later... I think it had something to do with a broken heart, because of her writings, yes., they were not ACCEPTED, which makes a person, if they have some sort of human characteristics, feel unwanted, therefore their purpose in life is not fulfilled because its not accepted. I like that notion of acceptance, very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn, I find it intriguing that you tied in the desire to be accepted that you find in Latino literature to your own medical school applications. Making a case for yourself and waiting to find out if you've been "accepted" really makes you vulnerable. You have to be prepared for rejection, and yet hold out hope that what you have to offer will be appreciated. Sor Juana not only desired to be recognized by other intelligent and powerful people for her gifts, but she also needed to please her patrons in order to continue to keep their support. That can be a tough position--on the one hand you are using your voice, but on the other you need to flatter or conform or shape your voice in such a way that your desired audience will be persuaded to accept it. Speaking of patronage, Cabeza de Vaca had to explain to the king shipwreck after shipwreck and almost total losses on a voyage for which he was the financial manager. Again, he had to find something worthy to offset the losses--for him it was casting his amazing tale of survival into the form of a spiritual journey. Anzaldua writes to claim acceptance for her version of Spanish and to proclaim its legitimacy for creative work. Good insight into a common theme in these texts.

    ReplyDelete