Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Border in The Guardians


            The Guardians really gave a human face to the border for me. I had heard some things about the border and what happens around it, but I had only received information from news sources that can be more factual in the way they discuss the issues. The Guardians really gave me a window in to how the border and crossing affect not only the lives of the people who traverse it, but their families as well.
            Gabo and Regina have had their families ripped apart by the border. Gabo has a sister he hasn’t seen in many years because she is living in Mexico. Rafa, Regina’s brother and Gabo’s father, has crossed the border many times and is constantly traveling back and forth; probably not seeing his family as much as he would like to. Miguel and Milton may not seem that affected by the border, but when they get involved with Regina and her family they get mixed up in the border drama that is happening for Regina. Miguel’s family is sort of torn apart by the border as his wife gets taken when she is across the border working with her women’s shelter in Juarez.
            The other interesting thing this novel showed me about the border was the gang side of things and just how much power the gangs have on the area. Rafa has crossed the border several times successfully, but just this once he hooks up with the wrong coyote and everything goes wrong. It amazes me how much people are forced to trust the coyotes. They pay their money up front and just hope everything works out for them, once they pay them the Coyotes have what they want and don’t really care what happens to the people they are leading. Unfortunately for Rafa he trusted the wrong person and ended up working for them making methamphetamine until they killed him with a Taser gun. 

6 comments:

  1. I agree that The Guardians allowed me to understand the border in a new way. Instead of simply hearing about the difficulties in crossing, the book connected us with individuals and shared their own experiences with the gangs, organ harvesters, violence, and distrust that surround the border crossing experience.

    The power of the gangs in the book reminded me of the movie Sin Nombre. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. It emphasizes not just the power and coercion involved in being in a gang, but also the control the gangs have of those who attempt to cross into the U.S. It is a moving film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Guardians did help me see the border in a different way. I have experience the border at the El Paso/Juarez point in Texas. There is a physical wall and a lot of border patrol all around. However, I had no idea how long the wall was. The Guardians helped me see a different aspect of the border. It gave me a clear window into what it is like to have to cross a border illegally and some of the struggles that come with that, whether it be the walking through the desert or being separated from your family. I cannot imagine what it is like to feel so desperately to come to the United States, simply to provide for my family, but have no way to get here. Then, have my family be separated by this journey and the not knowing if my family is ok... I cannot imagine what this is like. I am very thankful that I have not had to have this experience and it gives me a lot more sympathy towards those who have...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is crazy to see that the border is a place of organized crime controlled by the gangs. The coyotes are there running the place trying to get people across. However, it is a business rather than a human service. It's all about the money and the coyotes do not care if you have made it once they get all the money. The people trust the coyotes but these people are a "gang." They could care less about you. It was sad to see Rafa trusting the wrong coyote. In the Devil's Highway, the group of 26 people are led astray by a young coyote. Mendez's intentions were not to get this people stranded but he was a selfish person only caring about his own life. I understand why these people trust coyotes. It is one of the last hopes they have at getting across the border. I guess if I was in that situation, I would "trust" them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn,

    I want to say that the many incidences in the book where the characters have run-ins with coyotes is sad. Rarely, you will hardly see people in real life succeed at crossing the border; instead, they will lose their life in the desert. But I too was struck by the control many gangs have along the border and I have to say I am surprised that no "gang fights" have broken out (at least none that I have heard/read about).

    Also, I'd like to reiterate what I said on other posts: it strikes me as strange that many people trying to cross the border do not meet with church agencies in their area to seek help for themselves and their families. It is sad that many of these organizations are offering help to the least fortunate, but the least fortunate do not use these services. The church organizations are there to help. Perhaps many are unaware of the help that is out there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn, I really like your statement about happening to trust the wrong coyote. I feel that is a problem with the border: you have to put your trust in a coyote, and you have no idea if they are "good" people that want to help you, or they are solely in it to make money. I think that Rafa just had the terribly unfortunate luck of picking the wrong person. Also, the border scares me for another reason. Even if the coyotes make it across the border with their flocks, there is a chance that they will be left somewhere to be caught, without the coyotes since the coyotes have already been paid. It is a dangerous game, the border, and it seems to be you cross it, or you end up dead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad this novel gave you some insights into the border and the systems that profit from it (Coyotes, gangs, illegal drug cartels) as well as the ways that it separates families. In previous decades, when it was easier to go back and forth, these problems were far less severe.

    ReplyDelete